@BBakkenist Wtf 😂
When you are try to upgrade Virtual Center 2.5.0 to vCenter 2.5 update 4 with a Microsoft SQL 2000 ODBC data source you receive the folowing error:
setup failed to connect to the database pointed to by the given DSN. Please make sure that you have the proper permissions to acces the database.
- To resolve this error you have to give the user that is used for the Virtual Center database access db_owner rights on the msdb database within Microsoft SQL
- Login to the SQL server
- Start the SQL Enterprise Manager by clicking on "Start >> Programs >> Microsoft SQL Server >> Enterprise Manager"
- Go to and expand "Security "
- Go to and expand "Logins "
- Right click on the VirtualCenter database user and hit properties. In my example the user is called "VirtualCenter"
- Mark the msdb database and klick "OK"
- This should do the trick
- After these steps you can proceed with your vCenter update!