@EMCVMAX Thx for sharing
Sometime things are so simple. It cost me hours to find out how to update a .zip file for ESX with esxupdate utility. The upgrade path to 3.5 update 3 with a .zip file was eventually really easy.
- First download the http://www.vmware.com/downloads
- This zip file is not the same as the tarball used to upgrade from ESX Server 2.x to ESX Server 3.5. Ensure that you have downloaded the correct file before proceeding.
- In my example it's upgrade-from-esx3.5-3.5.0_Update_3-123630.zip
- Upload it to your /tmp of your ESX server with WinSCP
- Login to the service console with root
- Go to the /tmp directory and Extract the compressed zip file and change to the newly created directory.The easiest way to do this is to run the unzip command:
- #unzip upgrade-from-esx3.5-3.5.0_Update_3-123630.zip
- The second option is to upgrade your ESX server
- Change to the newly created directory esx3.5-3.5... etc.
- Type #esxupdate update
- When the update command completes, the software reboots the ESX Server host.